Presentations are the foundation of any licensing negotiation. It makes the case for why a company should license your IP. The secret is to make the presentation as compelling as possible to justify the time spent negotiating the IP license.
Even if your IP is very technical, don’t make your presentation “tech heavy”. Remember, you will most likely be meeting with marketing, sales and product development folks. Before each presentation, I do some quick research and use this information to support why and how the IP fits their business model. Understanding a potential partners business helps you create a presentation that speaks to all areas of their business.
Here are 10 tips to for developing a “Show Me the Money” presentation:
- Know Your Numbers – When it comes to selling an IP license, nothing sells the deal like numbers promising future success.
- Avoid the Hype – Don’t “puff up” the presentation with words like “awesome”, “amazing”, or anything else that makes it too good to be true.
- Make it Logical – Deliver the presentation in a logical sequence, with each slide or point building upon earlier ones.
- Skip the “Happy Talk” – Don’t fill the presentation with irrelevant information, such as the life story of how you developed the IP.
- Focus on What Matters – By staying laser-focused on the benefits of licensing your IP, you can lead the potential license down the road to a mutually beneficial license.
- Less is More – It keeps the potential licensee’s attention, exudes confidence and proves that you know the value of your IP.
- Address the Tough Questions – It helps the potential licensee have confidence in the facts of your presentation.
- Rehearse, Rehearse, Rehearse – The result will be a finely tuned and polished presentation that delivers a compelling story.
- Consult Your Legal Adviser – To make sure there are no statements which can come back to bite you if a dispute arises.
- Close by Stating Exactly What You Want – Such as why you believe your IP is right for the licensee.
Your presentation is one of your most important selling tools. It need to be clear, compelling and concise. Make sure it stands on its own by telling a “show me the money” story.
During this 7 day e-course, you’ll learn about seven no-cost and low-cost strategies that you can use to create moneymaking licensing deals with your intellectual property. Click here to sign up for this free e-course.
Rand Brenner is an IP professional whose passion is helping inventors, startups, and businesses of all sizes use licensing to turn their IP into income-producing products, services, and technologies. His decades of experience run the gamut from medical devices to food technology to consumer products. He’s licensed some of the biggest Hollywood entertainment blockbusters including the Batman Movies (1 and 2), and the number one kid’s action TV show, the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Rand speaks about licensing and is a featured speaker at investment conferences, trade shows, colleges, and startup events. He’s a published writer with articles appearing in several prestigious trade magazine including The Licensing Journal, Intellectual Property Magazine, and License India. Rand also mentors at the Cal State Fullerton School of Business and Economics and is a judge for their startup business plan competitions.